Tuesday, April 12, 2011

On Line Assignment: Due Friday April 15th

-Create for me one valid factual example of each of the three deductive arguments below. 
-Create one create valid but un-factual argument for one of them.  You can twist one of your valid factual argument to make it un-factual, or you can create a completely different argument. 
-Create one invalid argument example for one of them. You can twist one of the valid arguments to make it invalid, or you can create a completely different argument.

So when you are done you will have five arguments.  Use Chapter Three to help you understand how to set up the arguments.  You can e-mail your examples to me at crozierdr@mflmarmac.k12.ia.us, or you can hand them in on paper on Friday:

The three arguments: 

1) Modus Ponens  
2) Modus Tollens
3) A Hypothetical Syllogism


Example for Modus Ponens:
Valid factual:  If I fall asleep before 9:15 P.M. in June, it will not be dark outside yet.  I fell asleep at 9:10, therefore it wasn't dark out yet.
Valid un-factual:  If I stay up past midnight during a weekday monsters will be hiding under the bed waiting for me.   I stayed up until 12:30 A.M. last Tuesday, so the monsters must have been waiting for me.  (I'm sure glad they didn't get me)
Invalid (could be factual or nonfactual) If I fall asleep before 9:15 in June, it will not be dark outside yet.  Therefore, since it was not dark outside yet on June 10th, I couldn't fall asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment